Provincial News

DFA says operations of consular offices in Megamall, Tuguegarao City suspended as “precautionary measure” vs COVID-19 spread

(Eagle News) — The operations of the Department of Foreign Affairs’ consular service sites in SM Megamall and Tuguegarao City have been suspended. The DFA said the suspension was part of the department’s “precautionary measures” against the spread of COVID-19 amid the steep rise in cases. The department did not say when the consular offices would resume operations. It said, however, that affected applicants at the Megamall office may proceed to the consular office in […]

4.2-magnitude quake strikes off Davao Oriental

(Eagle News) — A 4.2-magnitude earthquake struck off Davao Oriental on Saturday, Jan. 8. According to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, the quake hit at 9:26 a.m. It had its epicenter 101 kilometers southeast of Governor Generoso. The depth of focus was 36 kilometers. No damage to property nor aftershocks were reported.

3.9-magnitude quake strikes off Davao Occidental

(Eagle News)–A 3.9-magnitude earthquake struck off Davao Occidental on Wednesday, Dec. 29. According to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, the quake hit at 4:06 p.m. It had its epicenter 90 kilometers southeast of Jose Abad Santos. The depth of focus was 50 kilometers. No damage to property nor aftershocks were reported.

5.4-magnitude quake hits Davao Occidental waters

(Eagle News) — A 5.4-magnitude earthquake struck off Davao Occidental on Sunday, Dec. 26. According to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, the quake hit at 10:22 a.m. Its epicenter was 388 kilometers southeast of Balut Island. The depth of focus was 64 kilometers. No damage to property was reported but aftershocks were expected.

4.4-magnitude quake strikes off Pangasinan

(Eagle News) — A 4.4-magnitude earthquake struck off Pangasinan on Sunday, Dec. 26. According to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, the quake hit at 8:12 a.m. Its epicenter was 73 kilometers northwest of Agno. The depth of focus was 11 kilometers. No damage to property nor aftershocks were reported.

PCG deploys vessels to search for 7 Chinese fishermen reported missing near Pag-asa Island

(Eagle News) — The Philippine Coast Guard has deployed vessels to search for seven Chinese fishermen reported missing near Pag-asa Island. According to the PCG, PCG Commandant, CG Admiral Leopoldo V. Laroya ordered the deployment of BRP Capones (MRRV-4404) and PCG-manned BFAR vessels, MCS-3002 and MCS-3007. Laroya also directed Coast Guard District Palawan Commander, CG Captain Angel Z Viliran to deploy BRP Cape Engaño (MRRV-4411) to assist in the search and rescue operations. Laroya gave […]

2 La Union cops placed under restrictive custody for allegedly beating suspect in mauling of senior citizen

(Eagle News) — The Philippine National Police Regional Office 1 has placed under restrictive custody two La Union policemen who allegedly took turns beating a man who had supposedly mauled a senior citizen. The PRO1 took PSSG Benjie Mamuyac and PCPL Quincy Von Obillo while investigating their alleged manhandling of Roy Servera, 40, in San Fernando shortly after midnight on December 24. Servera had been arrested by barangay patrol officers based on the complaint of […]

DFA says some consular offices in Odette-affected areas have resumed operations

Only applicants with scheduled appointments from Dec. 21 to be entertained, DFA says (Eagle News)–Several consular offices in Odette-affected areas in Visayas and Mindanao have resumed operations, the Department of Foreign Affairs said. According to the DFA, the following offices, however, shall cater only to applicants who have scheduled appointments from December 21: Bacolod Butuan Cagayan de Oro Clarin Davao Dumaguete General Santos Iloilo Puerto Princesa Tacloban Tagum Zamboanga Meanwhile, the consular offices  and the […]

Region VIII disaster risk reduction council temporarily bans land travel from Luzon to Mindanao through Eastern Visayas ports

(Eagle News) — The Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council of Region VIII has temporarily disallowed any land travel from Luzon to Mindanao through any Eastern Visayas port. The RDRRMC said the suspension, which took effect on Dec. 22, was due to the increasing number of stranded passengers and the destruction wrought by “Odette.” The RDRRMC said so far, the seaport terminal in Liloan, Southern Leyte, in particular, was congested, while the San Ricardo […]

DFA: Applicants affected by closure of consular offices in Odette-hit areas to be contacted for rescheduling of appointments

(Eagle News) — Applicants affected by the closure of consular offices in areas severely hit by Typhoon “Odette” will be contacted for rescheduling of the appointments, the Department of Foreign Affairs said. According to the DFA, this is “as soon as the Department has established contact with the COs and as soon as the situation stabilizes.” So far, the DFA said the consular offices of Cebu and the temporary off-site passport services there shall remain […]

DILG: Over 4,000 PNP, BFP personnel deployed to Visayas, Mindanao for disaster response operations

(Eagle News) — Over 4,000 members of the Philippine National Police and the Bureau of Fire Protection have been deployed in disaster operations in Visayas and Mindanao, which have been badly hit by Typhoon “Odette.” In a statement, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said the  2,431 PNP officers and the 2,125 firefighters have been “working round the clock” even before “Odette” left the country over the weekend. Of the firefighters, he said 499 firefighters were involved […]