(Eagle News)– Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) Director General Isidro Lapeña confirmed on Tuesday that the agency and Philippine National Police confiscated P5.44 billion worth of dangerous drugs in just two months of Duterte administration.
This figure was significantly higher than the P3.85 billion worth of illegal substances seized in the first six months of 2016.
Lapeña said more than a ton of shabu had been barred from the market after the surrender of 673,978 drug personalities from July 1 to August 22.
“Due to the number of drug [surenderers], we particularly deducted a significant amount of drugs in the streets. The surrender of 673,978 drug personalities means a reduction of 1,040 kilos of shabu in the market translated to P5.2 billion loss in income,” he said.
Following President Rodrigo Duterte’s directive of relentless campaign against illegal drugs, the agency stepped up its measures against those who were involved in the narcotics trade.
On the other hand, Lapeña reiterated on Tuesday–along with National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) lawyer Henry Canapi– that they were not involved in the praparation of President Duterte’s list of ‘narco politicians’.