(Eagle News)—–The Palace on Monday, Jan. 14, said it would ask the Department of Foreign Affairs, a private firm and the Presidential Communications Operations Office to explain the passport data mess at the DFA.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo made the statement after former Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay defended Francois-Charles Oberthur Fiduciare from allegations it stole passport applicants’ data when its contract was terminated.
Yasay said the French firm had already complied with its contractual obligations when APO Production Unit Inc., and the United Graphic Expression Corporation, which is supervised by the PCOO, was awarded the contract to produce e-passports during the Aquino administration.
According to Panelo, “we will make a definitive conclusion or findings” once pertinent documents are submitted.
The National Privacy Commission is looking into the incident as well.