(Eagle News)–President Rodrigo Duterte will not meddle in the term-sharing agreement between Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano and Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco.
The Palace said President Rodrigo Duterte issued the statement at the joint birthday celebration of Velasco and his wife, Rowena, amid speculation the pact, which said Cayetano would be succeeded as speaker by Velasco on Oct. 18, 2020, or 15 months after the current Speaker’s assumption of office, would be set aside instead.
The speculations came following Cayetano’s high ratings as Speaker in recent polls.
In the statement, the Palace said the President also “assured his political allies during the occasion that he would throw his support to any politician who plans to run for the presidency in 2022.”
“Considering the rigors of being the country’s chief executive, the President said he does not want his daughter, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, to vie for the top post,” the Palace said.
Duterte has been vocal against his daughter Sara running for President.
Sara had been touted as her father’s replacement in 2022, with Senator Panfilo Lacson saying she was his top bet among the young leaders in the country for the highest position.
Sara, however, has remained coy about her political plans.