LRTA assures public LRT-2 system “safe” despite train collision

(Eagle News)—The Light Rail Transit Authority on Sunday, May 19, gave the assurance the LRT-2 system was still “safe” following the collision of two of its trains.

In a statement, the LRTA said LRTA Administrator General Reynaldo Berroya has already ordered a fact-finding team to determine the cause of the incident and to “make recommendations to prevent the recurrence of the same incident in the future, and to assess the response and action taken by the LRTA.”

“The collision incident which transpired is an isolated case and a first time for LRT-2 since its operation in 2003,” the LRTA said.

So far, LRT-2 operations have been suspended.

The LRTA said operations would resume “once the clearing operations and safety checkĀ  are completed at the revenue line.”

Thirty-four passengers were hurt after a moving train hit a parked train on the tracks near Anonas and Cubao stations at 9:51 p.m.

The LRTA said most of them suffered minor injuries and have since been released from the hospital.

Five, it said, are still being treated at the World Citi Medical Center and the Quirino Memorial Medical Center.

“We will shoulder the medical expenses of the injured and we will provide all the necessary assistance,” Berroya, who, together with Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade visited the injured last night, said.

“We apologize for this unfortunate incident..,” Berroya added.