(Eagle News)–The Department of Justice on Monday, Oct. 21, vowed to conduct a “fair and thorough investigation” of the charges against former Philippine National Police Chief Oscar Albayalde.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra issued the statement after the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group included Albayalde in its original complaint over the 2013 Pampanga drug raid.
The CIDG move came after the joint Senate panel that probed the ninja cops issue recommended the filing of charges also against the former PNP chief following allegations he intervened in the cases filed against the 13 policemen behind the raid.
The policemen had been ordered dismissed but they were demoted instead.
The DOJ is conducting a reinvestigation of the cases against the policemen, which had been dismissed.
“The inclusion of General Albayalde in the amended complaint affidavit filed by the PNP-CIDG before the DOJ today is a reflection of their assessment that General Albayalde may be held criminally liable for the acts or omissions alleged in the complaint,” Guevarra said.
He said, however, that Albayalde would be given due process.
Albayalde has stepped down as PNP chief amid the controversy.
He was replaced by Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa.