(Eagle News)—-At least five politicians who figured in President Rodrigo Duterte’s narco-list have denied the allegations against them.
San Rafael, Bulacan Mayor Cipriano Violago Jr.
In a Facebook post, reelectionist San Rafael, Bulacan Mayor Cipriano Violago Jr. said he had been “cleared” at the “municipal level, provincial level, regional Level, hanggang sa Camp Crame at iba pang mga ahensya.”
“Subject for ‘de-listing’ na ang aking pangalan ngunit may humaharang nito sa mas mataas pang tanggapan: ang Office of the President,” he said.
He said he would face the charges against him and would remain “strong” because he still had a duty to perform.
“Mayroon pa rin akong sinumpaang tungkulin na pagsilbihan ang aking mga kababayan na nagtiwala sa akin at ako ay nagpapasalamat dahil sa inyong patuloy na suporta. They can never put a good man down,” he said.
Leyte Rep. Vicente Veloso
House committee on constitutional amendments chair and Leyte Rep. Vicente Veloso dismissed as politically motivated his inclusion in the narco-list.
In media interviews, Veloso said he had already been cleared by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency and by self-confessed drug distributor Kerwin Espinosa.
“I challenge Albayalde, I challenge Aquino, and whoever was responsible for putting me in that list. If I am involved, magre-resign ako. On the other hand, if they cannot prove why they put me in that list dapat mag-resign din sila (they should also resign),” Veloso told Inquirer.net.
Subic Mayor Jefferson Khonghun
Subic Mayor Jefferson Khonghun, who is running for vice governor in the May polls, for his part, said “hindi na po namin kailangan gawin na magprotekta ng droga or maging drug lord dahil hindi naman po kami ganun kahirap.”
He said his father had “long been” entering into contracts as a contractor even before he entered politics.
He said when his father became congressman, he (Khonghun) was already a mayor and his brother a board member.
“..Bakit naman namin kailangan gaiwn yun eh meron din naman po kaming pamilya na kailangan alagaan, protektahan,” he asked.
Earlier, Daanbantayan, Cebu Mayor Vicente Loot and former Iloilo Mayor Jed Mabilog issued separate statements denying the allegations against them.
Mabilog was subsequently dismissed for graft.
Khonghun, Veloso, Violago, Mabilog and Loot were among 46 named by President Duterte on Thursday, March 14, for their alleged involvement in illegal drug activities.
He said administrative charges have already been filed against them.
Interior spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said other cases would be filed against the 46 “in other venues.”
Duterte said the names of other “narco-politicians” would be released soon.