DOJ reopens Castillo case to allow for admission of suspect-turned-witness’ statement


(Eagle News) — The Department of Justice said it has reopened the investigation into the death of hazing victim Horacio Castillo III to allow for the formal admission of the sworn statement of Aegis Juris member Marc Ventura.

The DOJ said the statement of Ventura–who has been admitted to the Witness Protection Program—was received only on January 3.

Last year, the case was submitted for resolution.

“We can’t resolve the case if the evidence is incomplete,” Assistant Prosecutor  Wendel Bendoval, a member of the panel of prosecutors handling the case, told reporters.

Castillo, a University of Sto. Tomas law freshman, is believed to have been killed during initiation rites conducted by the Aegis Juris fraternity in September.

Several people–including the alleged fraternity leader Arvin Balag—have been charged in connection with his death.