(Eagle News) – Amid the coronavirus pandemic, President Rodrigo Duterte came out on national television once again on Wednesday night, April 1, to stress the seriousness of the crisis and asked the people to listen to and trust the government.
He also warned the “Left” not to create trouble or to instigate violence in this time of crisis, saying that this would create further problems for the country’s poor.
“Mga kababayan kong Pilipino, I am addressing you once again about the problem of COVID pandemic,” he said.
“It is getting worse. So once again I’m telling you the seriousness of the problem and that you must listen,” the 75-year old Philippine leader said.
He said that while the world waits for a cure for the coronavirus disease that has so far infected almost a million people worldwide, his government would try its best to remove roadblocks that have so far hindered food and funds getting to the people.
“We are awaiting for God’s blessing na magkaroon tayo ng vaccine either from sino diyan na bright boy: China, Russia, America. I’m sure na kung meron na sila, they will share it with the rest of the world.”
Duterte said he knew people mostly have no work as businesses had been affected by the enhanced quarantine procedures which had been set up to prevent the further spread of the virus.
But he warns that there would be a greater problem if certain sectors will cause divisions among the already worried and strained public.
“Habang naghihintay tayo, marami hong problema na pumuputok na. Hirap na nga tayo, wala ng trabaho, walang negosyo, and there are people really — you know you… You try to mess up with ‘yung kakaunti nating (supplies).
“Ang ating suplay hanggang diyan lang ‘yan ‘yung inabot kasi hindi natin alam ganun kabilis. In two days’ time, patay ka. So we are trying to manage na lahat magkaroon equally. Equally is equally, pera pati pagkain. Ano ‘yung parte ko, parte mo ‘yan,” Duterte said.
-Duterte warns the Left-
During his speech, Duterte addressed the Left which he said is already making statements to rouse people into anger during this crisis. He said these communist groups are not helping anyone by rousing people and creating trouble.
He asked the people to wait patiently as he is already working to give the help they needed directly through the national agencies, and for them to not be swayed by forces wanting to cause trouble and panic in this crucial time.
“Pero maghintay kayo. Huwag ninyong gamitin ang pwersa. I am addressing the Left na ‘yung pambabastos ninyo ‘yung slamming about the distribution. Remember kayong mga Left: You are not the government. Naintindihan ninyo ‘yan? Hindi kayo nasa gobyerno and you cannot be a part of what we are planning to do for the nation,” Duterte said.
“Intindihin ninyo ‘yan. Kaya huwag kayong mag gawa ng kalokohan at mag-riot-riot diyan because I will order you detained at bibitawan ko kayo pagkatapos na wala na itong COVID,” he said.
“Huwag ninyo… Huwag ninyong subukan ang Pilipino. Do not try to test it. Alam mo we are ready for you. Gulo o barilan o patayan, I will not hesitate my soldiers to shoot you. I will not hesitate to order the police to arrest and detain you,” the President continued.
“Ngayon, ‘pag kayo ang na-detain, bahala kayo sa pagkain ninyo. Kaysa ibigay ko doon sa mga loko-loko, kagaya ninyo panggulo, ibigay ko na lang ‘yon sa mga matino pati nangangailangan.”
Duterte also said that he is not afraid of threats from these leftist groups.
“Huwag ninyo akong takutin ng gulo-gulo kasi kung gusto talaga ninyo ng gulo, guguluhin natin ang bayan natin tutal wala pa namang pagkain. Kung gusto ninyo nung barilan, eh ‘di sige. Gusto ninyo ng pukpukan, sige. I will not hesitate.”
“My orders are sa pulis pati military, pati mga barangay na pagka ginulo at nagkaroon ng okasyon na lumaban at ang buhay ninyo ay nalagay sa alanganin, shoot them dead,” he said.
“Naintindihan ninyo? Patay. Eh kaysa mag-gulo kayo diyan, eh ‘di ilibing ko na kayo. Ah ‘yung libing, akin ‘yan. Huwag ninyo subukan ang gobyerno kasi itong gobyerno na ito hindi inutil,” he added.
-National gov’t, DSWD to give funds directly to the poor –
After this statement, he gave the directive removing from local government officials the task of distributing funds that would come from the national government after noting that these officials have been politicizing even the relief distribution efforts.
He gave the task of distributing food, relief and funds coming from the national government to the Department of Social Welfare and Development headed by Secretary Rolando Bautista.
Presidential Peace Adviser Carlito Galvez Jr., who was recently appointed as Chief Implementer of the National Action Plan (NAP) against COVID-19, will also help Bautista, he said.
Politicians have been removed from the picture, he said.
“Ngayon, tinanggal ko sa politiko kasi maraming reklamo. Tinanggal ko sa politiko ‘yung distribution ng pera pati ang bigas na pagkain. Ibinigay ko kay Secretary Bautista lahat na ‘yan kasi itong DSWD may sariling distribution network na ‘yan, ‘yung Pantawid. So meron. Idagdag na lang nila doon sa matatanggap doon sa recipient ng Pantawid. Idagdag mo na lang ang pera na ‘yan doon sa kanila kasi kanila ‘yan,” Duterte said, referring to the Pantawi Pamilya program for the poorest of Filipinos.
“Iyong pera na ‘yan, inyo ‘yan. Kaya lang hindi ko man maibibigay lahat unevenly kaya ako na ang — kami na sa gobyerno ang mag-ano mag-distribute pati to determine how much.”
The President again appealed to the public to not entertain doubts about the government, especially at this time, when cooperation and unity is important to overcome the crisis.
“Do not entertain doubts about dishonesty and corruption. Hindi panahon na ‘yan ngayon. Not this time. Ako mismo nagsasabi,” he said.
(Eagle News Service)