MANILA, Philippines (Eagle News) — The South Korean Foreign Ministry has issued a special travel advisory for Bohol province, warning its citizens to avoid visiting the region, following the clashes of police and soldiers with suspected members of the Abu Sayyaf.
According to the South Korean Foreign Ministry, the travel advisory would remain in place until April 23.
“Judging that public insecurity could continue for some time on the Island of Bohol, the venue of the ASEAN summit from April 18 until 22, the Foreign Ministry has made the move to protect nationals of the Republic of Korea there,” it said.
However, the foreign ministry said that it may also extend the period of effectivity of the travel warning depending on the situation in Bohol.
Six members of Abu Sayyaf were killed, including its sub-leader Muammar Askali during the clashes with the police and soldiers in Barangay Napo, Inabanga last week.