MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police in Metro Manila will be placed on full alert Thursday, March 27, while the Armed Forces of the Philippines is on red alert for the whole of Central Mindanao.
This is in relation to the scheduled signing by the government panel and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front on the Comprehensive Agreement on Bangsamoro or CAB.
Police will particularly be on the look-out in the areas around Malacanang where the signing of the peace deal will take place, as well as the hotel in Pasay City where the delegates to the peace deal signing are staying.
Of the 1,200 expected to attend the historic signing, half or almost 600 are MILF members.
PNP spokesperson police Senior Supt. Wilben Mayor said they hoped that Thursday’s event would be a peaceful activity, as the police have not received any threats so far.
Meanwhile, the 6th Infantry Division of the AFP, which is assigned in Central Mindanao has been placed on red alert to prevent any outbreaks of violence in the region.
Central Mindanao covers Maguindanao, Sultan Kudarat, North Cotabato and Cotabato which are known territories of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) and Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters.
“It’s our way to alert troops to ensure that no untoward incidents will happen,” said Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala of the AFP Public Information Office.
The AFP is also hopeful that the Communist Party of the Philippines and the New People’s Army would not be using the occasion to initiate attacks on government forces.
Instead, Zagala said Thursday’s signing ceremonies between the government and the MILF should encourage the CPP-NPA to return to the negotiating table and talk peace once again with the government. (Eagle News Service)