(Eagle News) — The Department of Health reported the addition of 2,124 new COVID-19 cases bringing the total confirmed infections to 56,259.
At the same time, the DOH also noted a record number of new recoveries at 2,009, bringing the total patients who recovered from the virus at 16,046. There were also 162 deaths reported as of July 12, the DOH said on Monday, July 13. This brings the total COVID-19 fatalities to 1,534.
But Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said that majority of these deaths occurred the past two weeks. She said 18 of the deaths occurred last week, while the 33 others occurred in the first week of July.
DOH also noted the total active cases 38,679, most of which (92.2 percent) are mild cases. Asymptomatic cases reached 7.1 percent, showing an increasing trend for asymptomatic patients.
-Most new cases coming from Metro Manila-
Metro Manila acounted for most of the newly announced cases with 459 cases, while Cebu followed with 273 new cases. Laguna was next with 71 cases, followed by Cavite with 35 new cases, and Rizal with 28 new cases.
Vergeire said that the DOH is also doing harmonization and reconciling of cases, and getting data straight from local government units which accounted for the increased numbers of cases.
“Ginagawa po natin ito dahil ang local government units ay mayroong mas direktang impormasyon at pangyayari sa kani-kanilang lugar,” she said in a press briefing Monday morning.
She said that their direct access and coordination with LGUs was a big help to the DOH as this meant more accurate number of COVID-19 cases.
Today, Monday, July 13, the DOH also changed its new way of reporting of COVID-19, with a more comprehensive infographics, reflecting various data on virus cases such as the precentages of active cases, and the top provinces where the new cases had been reported,
(Eagle News Service)