Concerns arise as Lorenzana was in IATF meeting with Pres. Duterte just last week
(Eagle News) – Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said he had tested positive for COVID-19.
Lorenzana, 72, in a statement, said that he received his test results on Tuesday, April 6, that showed he was positive for the virus, and would thus be “undergoing isolation” to avoid infecting other people.
“The result of my RT-PCR test today, 06 April 2021, came up positive. I will be undergoing isolation, following the quarantine guidelines to avoid infecting others,” he said.
“Those who have been exposed to me have been informed. They have been advised to isolate and get tested for COVID-19 as well,” Lorenzana said.
He said that the Department of National Defense would “continue to operate with a skeleton workforce to ensure continuity of service, with the prescribed health protocols strictly enforced.”
“I would like to remind everyone that the threat of the virus is as real as ever, more so now due to the new variants. Let us all cooperate and abide by the prescribed health protocols to help in curbing the spread of COVID-19,” his statement read.
Just a week ago, on March 29, Lorenzana was in a meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte at the Malacanang Golf Clubhouse where various matters were discussed including the latest COVID-19 situation.
In that meeting of the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), Lorenzana was seen in various group photos including one where President Duterte was signing the proposed grant of financial assistance to the Local Government Units placed under the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ).
-Palace photos show DND chief, other cabinet members in huddle with Pres. Duterte on March 29-
Another Malacanang photo showed the President in a huddle with various cabinet members including Defense Secretary Lorenzana who was then wearing a face mask and face shield. The President himself was also wearing a face mask.
Recently, more cabinet officials have tested positive for COVID-19, including Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque (who had since tested negative for the virus after quarantine) and Communications Secretary Martin Andanar.