(Eagle News) – Malacanang said that six officers of the Bureau of Customs assigned at the Port of Subic have been relieved of their posts and “recalled” to the BOC main office as the probe on alleged sugar smuggling continues.
Press Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles announced this on Wednesday, August 24, saying that the six BOC officers have been transferred to the office of the acting Customs Commissioner Yogi Filemon while awaiting the result of the investigation.
The six BOC officers previously assigned at the BOC’s Port of Subic were the following:
-Maritess Theodossis Martin, district collector;
-Maita Sering Acevedo, deputy collector for assessment;
-Giovanni Ferdinand Aguillon Leynes, deputy collector for operations;
-Belinda Fernando Lim, chief of assessment division;
-Vincent Mark Solamin Malasmas, enforcement security service commander; and
-Justice Roman Silvoza Geli, Customs intelligence and investigation service supervisor.
The investigation was conducted following an attempt at the Subic port to smuggle around 140,000 bags of imported refined sugar from Thailand with an estimated value of P45.62 million.
“The recall of officials from the Bureau of Customs-Port of Subic is standard procedure while an investigation is being conducted,” Ruiz said in a statement.
On August 19, the BOC said that the Port of Subic in Zambales has detained the M/V Bangpakaew on Aug. 18 following a tip that it contained sugar contraband.
“The ship, which arrived from Thailand, was suspected to be carrying approximately 140,000 bags or 7,000MT of sugar classified as Reserved Sugar Bottlers’ Grade by the Sugar Regulatory Administration (SRA) per Sugar Order No. 3, series of 2021-2022,” it said.
“The Port of Subic, assures the public that it would be relentless in its continuing efforts in line with the Bureau’s anti-smuggling campaign,” the BOC said in an earlier release.
(Eagle News Service)