(Eagle News) — It was a successful awards ceremony for the 42nd Gawad URIAN Awards on June 18, 2019 at the Cine Adarna of UP Film Institute with the country’s best performances in the silver screen honored and recognized.
Multi-awarded veteran actor Eddie Garcia won as Best Actor for his moving performance in the movie “ML” where he portrayed the role of a retired Metrocom colonel suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
ML Director Benedict Mique received the award for Garcia, who at that time was still in a coma after suffering from a neck fracture during the shooting of a teleserye for GMA 7 on June 8
Garcia on Thursday, June 20, passed away at the Makati Medical Center where he has been in a coma since he was brought there.
The award was the most recent he received before he passed away.
Mique was quite emotional when he received the award for Garcia.
He read the family’s message, thanking the award giving body, for the most recent “Gawad Urian” given to the 90-year old actor.
“Karangalan ng pamilya na tanggapin ang inyong muling pagkilala kay Eddie. Pangatlo na itong award na kanyang natatanggap mula sa natatanging Gawad Urian,” Mique said as he read the letter from Eddie’s family.
“Mula sa ‘Death Row’ noong taong 2000, pangalawa ay Lifetime Achievement Award noong 2006. At ngayon para sa ‘ML’.”
During the 42nd Gawad Urian, veteran actress Gloria Sevilla was also honored with the “Natatanging Gawad Urian or “Lifetime Achievement Award.”
“In my 70 years working in the film industry, it brought me a lot of blessings,” Sevilla said in her speech.
Like Garcia, Sevilla has been in the movie industry for over seven decades.
She is widely regarded as the Queen of Visayan Movies, because of her contributions in Visayan-made movies in the Philippines in the 1950s and 1960s.
“I’m truly grateful to Urian for this lifetime achievement tribute which I will cherish until my last breath,” she said.
The awarding of the Lifetime Achievement Award to Sevilla was one of the highlights of the program.
The hosts for the evening were Butch Francisco and Cherie Gil who herself won as Best Supporting Actress for the movie, “Citizen Jake.”
Here is the complete list of winners for the prestigious 2019 Gawad Urian given by the Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino (the Filipino Film Critics):
• Best Picture | “BuyBust,” Vic del Rosario Jr. et.al.
• Best Director | Denise O’Hara, “Mamang”
• Best Actress | Nadine Lustre, “Never Not Love You”
• Best Actor | Eddie Garcia, “ML”
• Best Supporting Actress | Cherie Gil, “Citizen Jake”
• Best Supporting Actor | Joel Lamangan, “School Service”
• Best Screenplay | Rody Vera, “Signal Rock”
• Best Cinematography | Neil Bion, “BuyBust”
• Best Documentary | Jewel Maranan, “Sa Palad ng Dantaong Kulang”
• Best Short Film | Shaira Advincula, “Tembong”
• Best Production Design | Michael Espanol & Roma Regala, “BuyBust”
• Best Editing | May-i Guia Padilla, “Tanabata’s Wife”
• Best Music | Malek Lopez & Erwin Romulo, “BuyBust”
• Best Sound | Jonathan Hee, Steff Dereja and Miguel Hernandez, “Never Tear Us Apart”
• Natatanging Gawad Urian | Gloria Sevilla
(MJ Racadio, Eagle News Service)