Duterte: PHL will no longer purchase weapons nor military equipment from US

(Eagle News)–The Philippines will no longer purchase weapons nor military equipment from the United States during President Rodrigo Duterte’s term.

Duterte himself made the announcement in a speech in Bulacan on Thursday, Jan. 10.

According to Duterte, the decision was made in view of the US’ threats to impose sanctions on countries that have dealings with Russia.

“Pagkabumili ka sa China o maybe Russia, magsali ka sa embargo, you cannot trade with America. So para kang inipit doon sa ano. Eh sabi ko naman (to) your superiors and the civilian leaders, with that kind of arrangement, do not expect me to buy arms from the United States,” Duterte told uniformed personnel.

According to Duterte, “pangit¬†tingnan.”

“It does not sit well with the Filipino na ganunin ka tapos pasunod-sunod ka na lang,” Duterte said.

Last year, three Cabinet men of US President Donald Trump’s Cabinet–Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, then-Defense Secretary James Mattis and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross —wrote Duterte a letter apparently offering US weapons and other defense equipment to the Philippines.

The letter said the¬†“special relationship” between the US and Philippines “will only grow stronger by increasing our dialogue and cooperation especially on security, cooperation, and trade.”